Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vegan Grilled Cheese w/Tomato & Avocado

I love grilled cheese sandwiches. Before going vegan, grilled cheese with tomato soup was my husband and I's staple meal throughout the winter. I would crave them from In N Out Burger (it's been almost 20 years since I've consumed red meat, so it's all I would order there). I always told myself that cheese would be the biggest factor for me not to be vegan. Luckily, I got over that and discovered the wonderful world of vegan cheese. I really don't miss the nasty, casein filled crap I used to consume on a regular basis.


I whipped up these delicious sandwiches the other night and they were awesome. The bread is crispy and the avocado is warm and creamy - heaven. These would go great with a big bowl of tomato soup in the winter or homemade gazpacho in the summer.

What you will need:
Bread of choice, I went with sourdough
Vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite)
Daiya Mozzarella cheese shreds (or your favorite brand)
1 ripe tomato, diced
1/2 avocado, sliced thin or diced
Garlic salt & pepper to taste


1. Heat a large skillet (use one that has a lid) over medium high heat.

2. Butter 1 side of two pieces of bread. On the non-buttered layer the Daiya, tomatoes and avocado then sprinkle with spices. Place the second piece of bread butter side up on top and place in hot skillet.


3. Keep your eye on it, and flip over when you have your desired doneness of the bread.


4. Put the top on the skillet while the second side cooks. This helps the Daiya get all melty and wonderful. Again, watch for your desired doneness.


5. Remove from skillet, slice and dig in.

 
 

5 comments:

  1. Looks so nice and yummy, I'm sort of drooling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocado sounds like a really interesting addition to the sandwich. I just might have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avocado on grilled cheezies the best! You got my favorite ingredients going on that delicious sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ZOMG...this looks freaking AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete